What is the best way to germinate cannabis seeds?
The best way to germinate cannabis seeds requires only two saucers or plates and some moist tissue. Here is a step by step guide.
Unfortunately, regulation and implementation in respect of cannabis seeds often differ from country to country. For this reason we advise you as a matter of urgency to make inquiries about the regulations to which you are subject. Read the complete disclaimer here.
How to germinate cannabis seeds – Step 1 – The setup
- Line the bottom of the first plate with a few layers of wet tissue and drain any excess water from the plate.
- Seeds should be placed on top of the tissue, allowing each seed as much space as possible.
- Place another few layers of moist tissue on top of the seeds, again allowing excess water to drain off.
- Lastly, cover everything with the second plate, upside down, to form a ‘clam-shell’ shape – this will create the dark, moist environment necessary for germination.
How to germinate cannabis seeds – Step 2 – Germination
- Place the plates somewhere warm (21ºC) and away from direct light.
- Check the seeds every day to ensure that the tissue does not dry out. Spray the tissues with water if necessary.
- Within a few days the some or all of the seeds should open and put out a root. It is common for cannabis seeds to open within 72 hours of being put in the germination medium. Less commonly, some seeds may need up to 10 days or even two weeks to open and put out a root.
- When the first few millimeters of root have emerged from a germinated seed, each one should then be carefully transferred to a small container of growing medium (soil, coco-fibre or rockwool).
How to germinate cannabis seeds – Step 3 – Potting
- Make a hole in the growing medium that is about twice as deep as the seed is long, so that each germinated cannabis seed sits 2-5mm below the surface.
- Place the cannabis seed, root first, into the hole and cover with a small amount of growing medium – just enough to block light, not enough to obstruct the seedling when it emerges.
- Cannabis seedlings usually emerge from the growing medium 24 to 72 hours after the germinated seeds are planted.
How to germinate cannabis seeds – Step 4 – The seedling stage
- New seedlings should be given access to bright light from the time they emerge. Care should be exercised in the first week or two, as seedlings are still quite delicate.
- Seedlings intended for outdoors should be acclimatised to direct sunlight by placing them on a windowsill inside the house and increasing their exposure to direct sunlight by an hour or two per day.
- Seedlings intended for indoors may emerge into an artificially lit environment with no problems. If using HID lighting, seedlings should be kept a minimum distance of 50 to 80cm from the bulb. If using fluorescent light, seedlings can be kept a normal distance from the tube/bulb.